DIY Batanes Day 1 - North Batan Tour

Batanes is the northern most part of the Philippines that comprises of 10 Islands. 3 of which were inhabited. Basco is the capital of Batanes. Located in the island of Batan.


The province of Batanes is known as the province that has the most frequent visits of typhoon due to its geographic location. One side of the province is the West Philippine Sea and the Pacific Ocean on the other side.

Thanks to Philippine Airlines operated via 2P, Batanes is now closer to local and foreign travellers via their daily trips and a seasonal promos. Regular fare usually costs around 10K to 15k return tickets but if your lucky enough, you will able to grab as low as 1,700.00 return. Be sure to subscribe to the airlines e-mail alerts to catch their seasonal sales.



Other airlines operating in Basco Airport is the SKyJet that flies from Manila to Basco v.v. and Sky Pasada that caters Tuguegarao to Basco v.v routes.


Since I started travelling, Batanes was already on the top of my bucketlist due to its seemingly over rated descriptions from other blogs. I never thought that I can visit this heavenly province this year. Last October 2, 2014, I did able to step on the soil of this province and I can say that from the view above, it was indeed a heaven on earth place.


Since it is non-peak season, the plane departed Manila with only a half full of passengers. Making the trip more comfortable. :)

Upon arriving Basco, you will notice the simplicity of the Basco Airport and be amaze on how they showcase a part of their culture on their airport. Click here for the Basco Airport post.

I already see the placard that has my name on it waiting for me outside the arrival area. All in all, we are 8 persons that avail accommodations at the Marfel's Lodge.
2 pax were sent on the Marfel's Lodge annex and the 6 of us at the Marfel's Lodge Extension. a group of 4 pax and us 2 solo traveller. You may click here for details regarding Batanes Accommodations.

It was around 8:30am when we reached our Lodge. Actually the lodge is 5 to 10 minute walk from the Airport. :)



We rested for awhile and have a few chit-chat from the staff and owner of the lodge. Few minutes of getting to know each others name. The owner also asked about our planned itineraries. She is so accommodating and very helpful on how we can arrange the trip properly. :)


Around 10AM, I decided to do biking (P25.00/hour) going to Naidi Hill Light house and to the Rolling Hills. The two is already located within the city. Biking time is around 10 to 15 minutes and that includes my time pushing the bike upward towards the hill. hahah!

 


 

 
Due to too much stress and energy wasted by the 2 spots, I decided to hire a tricycle to tour me to the rest of the North Batan Area.

 

Anyway, to give you advance idea, here is my itinerary and you may used this also as your guide.

Day 1 - North Batan Tour (halfday tour)
Day 2 - Sabtang Island Tour (halfday tour) - click here
Day 3 - South Batan Tour (around 7 hours) - click here

If you have longer days
Day 4 : Itbayat Island Tour (overnight)


I asked the other solo traveller guest if she is interested to join my North Batan tour to save half of the cost of transportation. Thankfully she did. and also joined me on the next 2 days of the trips. BIG SAVINGS!


Here are the rest of the spots I'd visited during my North Batan Tour:


1.) Welcome to Basco Arch


 




2.)  Mt. Carmel Chapel (Tukon Church)

 

Sorry for the poor quality :(


Paintings on the ceiling of the Mt Carmel Church made by Ivatan Artists.

3.) PAG-ASA Weather Station


 


4.) Fundacion Pacita





5.) Japanese Tunnel
 

6.) Valugan Boulder Beach


2 comments:

  1. How was the weather in October? I am planning to go there in October as well this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi @well_birth, Since we are currently experiencing global warning with unpredictable weather and Batanes' location most of the time welcomes minimal to torrential rain, I cannot foresee that might happen this year. But on my experience, I was lucky enough that my flight inbound and outbound of Batanes flew on schedule and during my stay, it was free of rain. I once experienced heavy rain (night time) when Typhoon Mario is passing over the island. :)

      Delete