DIY Batanes Day 3 - South Batan Tour

My third day in Batanes was scheduled for the South Batan Tour, Dale picked me up at my home stay around 7:30AM.

Our first stop is the Chawa View Deck. It is known to be one of the perfect spot to view the sunset. Since it was just around 8:00AM, I just decided to go down the cliff of more than 100 steps and enjoy the watching the strong waves crushing down the stones. Also I was able to spot the Philippine Airlines preparing their arrival at Basco. 


 Then we headed down south over the Mahatao Water Shelter. As the name implies, it serves as shelter/protection for boats during typhoon season. 


 Next on my list is the Maywang A Libro Du Vatan / Batanes Blank Book Archive. Literally speaking, it is a collection of Blank books wherein you are given the privilege to right something about something or do scribble or anything you want.
 

Right beside the Blank Book Archive is the Matao Church / San Carlos Borromeo Church. It was declared as one of the 26 Philippine Churches that has been recognized as Cultural Icons due to its beauty and excellent state of preservation, It was built using Limestone walling in Baroque Style and Cogon Roofing.



From the church, we proceed to our next stop, Tayid Lighthouse and the Liveng/Hedgerows. While driving uphill, the view was mind blowing. I even imagine the Great Wall of China situated on top of the hills from the road constructed with retaining wall built on both sides of the road to protect the vehicles from falling.

While walking towards the Tayid Lighthouse, A local snake welcomed us. Sorry for the poor photo. We all know that snake is a snake. haha. It's better for me to stay distant when I took photo. haha.







Next stop is thew Racuh A Payaman / Marlboro Country. It is a vast area of pastureland for cows, carabaos and horses. It is a perfect spot for nature lovers and photographers.




Our last stop before going back to Basco is the Municipality of Uyugan. We stop over at the Alapad Rock Formation and overlooking Loran Station. From where I am standing, you can feel the strong wind whipping your entire body and the ravage of waves crashing the huge stones.
 


The Loran Station were previously used during the World War II by the Americans as the US Coast Guard Station. Way back, it was known as Little America. The government is planning to rehabilitate the structure as the National Museum of Batanes.




I don't know the name of this area. I just asked the driver to stop when I saw this spot.



10 Commandments written in Ivatan. This monument is located in front of Itbud Curch,

The Old Spanish Bridge which is built during the Spanish Period. This bridge is still being used to date.



After few hours of awesome South Batan Tour, We decided to have our lunch break at Vatang.

 



 

After we had our late lunch, we rest for few minutes and headed down to couple of spots left on our itinerary. Below is the famous White Beach of Batanes. This is the most memorable part of my vacation here.  I will attached a short clip below this post for you to find out the story. :)


Along the roads of Batanes, you can see from each corner this sign. #medyobastos #parangtextlang
 

To wrapped up my South Batan Tour, I went inside the House of Dakay. It is the one of the 5 houses that survive the catastrophic earthquake happened last Sept. 13, 1918 that causes the Municipality of Ivana to be leveled. Up to this date, the floorings and shutters haven never been changed. Cogon Roof is changed every 30 years. Last change of Roofing is way back 2007.

 

After that, I went back to my homestay around 3:00 in the afternoon to regain the lost energy of the entire day. By 5:30PM, Dale picked me up at my homestay and we went to Naidi Lighthouse to catch the sunset. Unfortunately, It is too cloudly due to the tail of Typhoon Pepeng. But still, the last photo I had below is taken on top of the Naidi "Basco" Lighthouse.




21 comments:

  1. You've taken great photos and have shown the breath-taking scenes of the place! I will totally ask my mom if we could visit Batanes when they come back for their holidays next year! I have a few friends who moved there and now I totally believe them when they say the place is wonderful.

    Great blog post too! This will totally help travelers like me who wouldn't avail those tour packages. At least we now know what are the places to visit when we get there. Thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you could visit Batanes! :) If you are planning to visit between Dec to March, don't forget to bring winter clothes. According to their travel guide I got, Temperature drops as low as -10 degress during winter seasons. :)

      Delete
  2. I always admire people who travel alone. I do travel alone before, and it's exciting to be alone, total stranger to the place yet you were able to enjoy the trip.

    I remember back in August when most of my friends were unable to secure their passport on time, I was decided to travel alone to Bangkok and Cambodia. Fortunately, one of them got his just right the day before our flight. I had a company. But traveling alone for me is bliss! haha

    Now, I'm gonna have to pursue my Batanes plans... Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. having travel buddy/buddies is better. But sometimes it is quite complicated since you need a group decision in everything you are planning to do. :) Batanes is relatively safe for solo travelers. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh oh my Batanes! Sayang yung ticket ko this month :( hopefully may piso fare ulet hehehe Iba ang ganda ng Batanes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos left me almost speechless. Batanes is BEAUTIFUL. I'm really going there next year - it should be next year and not be put off for another time. The blank books remind of the blank wooden prayer tablets in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! If I didn't read your blog, I would think the pictures were taken from another country. The lighthouse, the house of Dakay -- both BREATHTAKING! I want to go to Batanes now so badly, haha!

    Thanks for sharing. I shall share on my page. Really. The pics are so enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Batanes trip with my wife and kids is a must-do in the near future. I want to bring my parents along too. Do you think senior citizens (my father is 80+ but active) can do this trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may bring your family with you. Share this wonderful experience with them. Your dad can go around pretty well in Batanes since he is active. :) but I strongly suggest that if you are planning to go to the other island (the one near Taiwan), you may opt to leave your dad to your homestay/hotel. You may search Chinapoliran Port in youtube to see why. :) or other option is a 10minutes chartered flight between the two islands. :)

      Delete
  7. I have always wanted to go to Batanes. It just that I have a hard time getting promo fares from PAL. One day, one day. Btw, the photos are beautiful. What did you write on the blank book?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really a beautiful and peaceful place. For a moment, I thought there was a typo and you meant Batam! Haha, it seems like a great place to find your inner peace and to calm your mind down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What stunning scenery, you have taken some amazing images. I do not blame you for taking the snake picture from far away, I would have been running as fast as I could in the opposite direction! ;) Simone

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the meaning of life at least as per my understanding- to invest in collecting memories of awesome places, feel the intoxicating power of nature and recharging your batteries enjoying beautiful places. Your South Batan tour seems so amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you really had a great time here. The place is beautiful except for the snake!Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. A picture really is worth a thousand words! These are all gorgeous and make me want to travel to the far reaches of the world..

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sea view is stunning. I could imagine the sounds of the waves crashing and the winds bellowing through my hair.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Loran Station looks very beautiful! I hope the plans push thru in making it a museum. I also like the Blank book Archive because it looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! The place is so beautiful and very picturesque! Our country is so bless with so many beautiful places! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been reading so many travel posts on Philippines recently... Got to say, your country's so close to mine (Singapore), yet I've NEVER visited! Maybe it's time to think about it as a family destination!

    Thanks for the post, lovely photos.

    Best,
    Ling Tan
    www.kidsonboard.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's beautiful.. it looks like Ireland. Now I just have to go there!

    ReplyDelete