Credit Card Dilemma


Before, I was too enthusiast to have a credit card yet to hesitant to used it. Then after sometime, more cards were accumulated and my expenses grows bigger and bigger and bigger. Though I didn't experienced yet to be charge for not paying (Finance and Interest Charge).

But, last April, I called RCBC to inquire on how they will compute finance charge cause during that moment, I cannot pay the whole statement. I asked the CSR to helped me compute if I will have a remaining balance of 1,000.00

To share to everyone, here's how RCBC compute their finance charge

First : Your total Due balance be multiplied to a percent factor for finance charge interest (3.5% in case of
           RCBC)

Second : You then compute EACH of the Transaction during the covered period.

           Example : Your cut-ff is every 14th of the Month and Due Date is every 3rd of the succeeding month
                             a) count the number of days from the date of transaction (not the posting date) and the
                                  cut-off date for the period.
                             b) the days from (a) be divided to how many days in a month covered
                             c) multiplied by the finance charge interest (3.5% in case of RCBC)
                             d) multiplied again to amount of transaction
                             e) do this in EACH and EVERY transaction made

Third : You then compute EACH of your payment made for the entire period (before due date)

          Example: Since your cut-off is every 3rd of the Month, all payments made before cut-off will be counted.
                          a) Subtract you Total due and your first payment
                          b) Count the number of days between your Payment and Cut-off
                          c) the days from (b) be divided to how many days in a month covered
                          d) multiply (a) and (c) and the finance charge interest (3.5% in case of RCBC)


ADD ALL THREE. and that's the total Finance Charge to be reflected on your next billing!

with that, I decided to pay the remaining balance of 1,000.00 instead.


26 comments:

  1. wow no wonder why my husband is streets as well with our bills more credit cards mor problems haha! maybe i will just try to have one though thee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definite a must to have one! :) just have a BIG discipline for it :)

      Delete
  2. owning credit cards is somewhat tempting. I know we got that trigger effect within, specially when you start to buy things without the use of your cold cash. But control is really needed. If you think you can stand by the test of time, and of course, can sustain the payment of your running bills, then go for it.

    dimaks
    http://the-urban-walker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and that was the hardest part - self-control!
      especially when those airlines and coupon sites offers a really good deal!

      Delete
  3. Can't relate.
    O__O Pero, parang ayaw ko na tuloy mag credit card. ZzZz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ayus magka credit card. control lang talaga. :)

      Delete
  4. It's tempting to get a credit card and this post just made me rethink my plans of getting one. But I agree that the problem is not the credit card, it's the holder, LOL! Self-control talaga dapat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. discipline nga lang talaga. pero everything seems to be tempting! haha!

      Delete
  5. I only have one. Hirap magbayad eh. I pay other bills pa. :)

    http://www.dekaphobe.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tama! plinano ko rin mag autobill.but i decided no to. baka lalo ako mapahamak. haha

      Delete
  6. Thinking of getting one too but I shop too much so not nlng!
    anyway, Followed your blog :) Mind following back? Thanks!

    kaigrafia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sayang yung points earned! hahah! :) followed you back :)

      Delete
  7. Talking about credit cards...
    I have bad experiences about having them.
    It's better to leave it at that... no more explanations WHY.
    So I maintained only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep and that was the hardest part :) mas okay nga lang siguro isa no? lalo na pag annual fee.patay patay..

      Delete
  8. I'm maintaining 2 CCs only although I have another 1 as a supplement.

    With the way how you explained the computation for the Finance charge. I'd better pay than to compute :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tama! it's better to pay the whole statement kung kaunti na lang nmn yung magiging kulang that doubled the amount for the finance charge.

      Delete
  9. For me, its a big NO-NO. I'd rather save up and pay cash instead rather than being tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not have a credit card. This made me think whether I'll get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it good to have one especially for emergency purposes but proper discpline should be observed.

      Delete
  11. Very practical advise. Hope to remove those credit card balances soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i want to get one. But Im trying to resist myself, since Im an impulsive shopper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i say no to credit card and don't even think of getting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really depends sa tao talaga. pero sometimes naiisip ko na rin to quit. :)

      Delete